Friday, January 28, 2011

A Psalm to Share



Last evening, as I opened my Bible to read a Psalm before bed, I found that the one that I was on for the day was one of my favorites . . . and one that I have memorized in song (only the New King James Version of it. :) I found myself singing in my head the beautiful and encouraging words as I read, and I hope that the words will be a blessing to you as well . . .

"O Lord, You have searched me and known me.
You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
You understand my thought from afar.
You scrutinize my path and my lying down,
and are intimately acquainted with all my ways.
Even before there was a word on my tongue,
behold, O LORD, You know it all.
You have enclosed me behind and before,
and laid Your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
It is too high, I cannot attain to it.

"Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Your presence?
If I ascend to heaven, You are there;
if I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there.
If I take the wings of the dawn,
if I dwell in the remotest part of the sea,
even there Your hand will lead me,
and Your right hand will lay hold of me.
If I say, 'Surely the darkness will overwhelm me,
and the light around me will be night,'
even the darkness is not dark to You,
and the night is as bright as the day.
Darkness and light are alike to You.

"For you formed my inward parts;
You wove me in my mother's womb.
I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
wonderful are Your works,
and my soul knows it very well.
My frame was not hidden from You,
when I was made in secret,
and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth;
Your eyes have seen my unformed substance;
and in Your book were all written
the days that were ordained [lit. fashioned] for me,
when as yet there was not one of them.

"How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!
If I should count them, they would outnumber the sand.
When I awake, I am still with You . . . .

"Search me, O God, and know my heart;
try me and know my anxious thoughts;
and see if there be any hurtful way in me,
and lead me in the everlasting way."
Psalm 139:1-18, 23-24


-Posted by Sarah

8 comments:

  1. This is a favorite Psalm of mine as well. I am so thankful for the beauty and promise and wisdom of the Word of God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some find it a bit overwhelming and frightening, Miss Sarah, that the Lord knows and sees all...that we can hide nothing from Him. But there is such peace in this because if we truly believe the words of this Psalm then we can move past the "trying to hide our sins from the Lord" and step into the "what is your will for my life, Lord?" To know that we can take anything and everything to Him, and that He will listen and answer our prayers and guide us...there is so much security in this promise. Oh, that others would come to know our amazing Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comment, Miss Linda! :) And I would agree wholeheartedly . . . how very thankful I am for the Word of God!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to our blog Don and Shelly, and thank you for your comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it can be overwhelming and frightening, Mrs. Laura, to know that the Lord knows everything . . . our innermost thoughts and feelings, the things we do in ‘secret’, etc. This would especially be so for those who do not have a personal relationship with Him.

    For me, I find such great comfort in knowing that He does know all. He knows my heart, my struggles, my weaknesses . . . everything. And because of that, as I/we seek Him, He will guide and lead and discipline and grow us as He knows would be best for us. And as you shared so well, there is such peace in this as we trust and rest fully in the Lord and seek to follow His will for our lives. It really is an amazing relationship between the Lord and His children! And yes, indeed, may others come to know and believe in Him as their Lord and Savior!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome, Don and Shelly! And thank you for sharing the invitation and link to visit your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one of my favorite Psalms! I'm memorizing verses 1-6 right now. :)

    You ladies have a very lovely blog!

    Many Blessings,
    Moriah

    www.uniquelyfashionedforhisglory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to our blog, Crista, and thank you for your encouraging words! That is wonderful that you are memorizing part of this Psalm . . . it has certainly been a blessing to me to have it committed to memory, and I am sure it will be to you as well!

    ReplyDelete