Wednesday, March 5, 2014

His Word Our Lamp


Last evening I continued reading through Psalm 119 (one of my favorite Psalms!), and came to verse 105. This verse never ceases to fill my heart with thankfulness no matter how many times I read it:


Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” (Psalm 119:105)


No matter the circumstances, decisions, joys, sorrows, trials, struggles . . . God’s Word is indeed a true lamp and light that is applicable to all areas of life, showing us where and how the Lord desires us to walk and so much more. It is indeed a wealth of perfect wisdom directly from the Lord God to us!

As I sit here typing and contemplating this verse, the little word ‘is’ caught my eye. God’s Word is a lamp and a light, not may be, but is. Isn’t that a wonderful truth? There is nothing that comes to us that God through His Word cannot give us direction in how to respond. There is no circumstance so painful that His Word cannot touch. There is no darkness so great that His true lamp and light cannot illumine our path and guide our feet steadfastly on.


"Your ears will hear a word behind you, 'This is the way, walk in it,’ whenever you turn to the right or to the left." (Isaiah 30:21.)


As God's Word is this one true lamp for our feet, how vital it is that we not be neglectful of it! How can we see the lamp guiding if our eyes are closed to its light? How can we see and avoid the dangerous trails that diverge off of the true path if we do not know how to discern God's true light from the false light? How can we be sure that the steps we are taking are truly upon the path that God desires us to walk if we do not know His Word which is our only sure guide? (along with the Holy Spirit teaching us His Word and bringing it to our remembrance.)

The simple answer is . . . we cannot.

Psalm 119 (from which the verse is taken that began this post) is a Psalm filled with deep love, reverence, and commitment to God's Word. In it, the Psalmist expresses in beautiful language his intense longing and desire after the Scriptures and after the Author of those Scriptures . . .


"How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Your word. With all my heart I have sought You; do not let me wander from Your commandments. Your word I have treasured in my heart, that I may not sin against You." vs. 9-11

"I shall delight in Your commandments, which I love. And I shall lift up my hands to Your commandments, which I love; and I will meditate on Your statutes." 47-48

"I considered my ways and turned my feet to Your testimonies. I hastened and did not delay to keep Your commandments." vs. 59

"Oh how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day." vs. 97

"Therefore I esteem right all Your precepts concerning everything, I hate every false way." vs. 128

"I hope for Your salvation, O LORD, and do Your commandments. My soul keeps Your testimonies, and I love them exceedingly. I keep Your precepts and Your testimonies, for all my ways are before You." vs. 166-168

These few verses shared here are but a taste of the fullness of this beautiful Psalm. May all that is shared in it be our heart's cry and earnest desire as well. May we truly love His perfect Word and let it be the lamp and light for our path and follow it wherever it leads. Thanking the Lord that in His great love, He provided such a sure and true light for us to follow and obey!


-Posted by Sarah

6 comments:

  1. So encouraging, Sarah. Every answer we need can be found in His Word.
    We've only to read it, keep it in our hearts, and follow it. :-)
    God bless,
    Anne♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many of the psalms are very meaningful, and somehow never dated. The words are as fresh as if we said them today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, Mrs. Anne! It is so comforting to know that, isn't it? Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are indeed, Elizabeth! They never grow old . . . and there is always something new to learn and glean from them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been reading your blogs of late and I sincerely thank you for them. I also thank our Lord and our Father for inspiring you by the Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome, Larry, and thank you for your encouraging comment! We're glad that the posts have been a blessing to you.

    ReplyDelete