Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Words for Edification

Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.” Ephesians 4:29

This morning as I was reading in Ephesians, the above verse once again convicted my heart. This is an area that I have difficulty with at times - especially during times of tiredness, or when I am struggling with my emotions. Our words have such power - power that can bring devastation, or restoration. James tells us that “the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity” and that it is “a restless evil and full of deadly poison.” (James 3:6, 8) This type of tongue is our nature. Spewing out words that destroy and bring pain. Angry words. Bitter words. Arrogant words. Words that belittle. Often those dearest to us are the recipients of these words, namely, our families. When we speak words such as these, they cut to the heart of those whom we love, and can cause irreparable damage.

But God has called us to set aside our own fleshly desires, and to speak “only such a word as is good for edification”. Edification is the building up of others; encouraging and strengthening them by a cheerful and instructive word. “So then we pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another.” (Romans 14:19) We set our heart, our goal and aim, upon this. Striving to encourage and strengthen our dear ones in the Lord by speaking sweet, encouraging and instructive words to them. May our hearts desire not be to seek our own satisfaction, but to instead speak according to “the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.”

Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips.” Psalm 141:3


-Posted by Sarah

1 comment:

  1. I too, was reading in Ephesians this morning. I coach a high school Christian competitive cheer squad and share God's word each week in a devotional time. Thank you for your post as it was exactly what I was looking for. I used pieces of your post and combined them with thoughts and other verses I had prepared to share. I wanted to thank you for your words of life as well as let you know your efforts and obedience will be helping to reach high school girls in GA this week!

    God's Word will not return void.
    Be encouraged.
    Becky Blackwelder

    ReplyDelete